Good causes around the county have been chosen to become the KM Charity of the Year 2011.
Newspaper editors from across Kent have selected the group or organisation they will be supporting throughout 2011.
Charities and good causes were invited to bid for the title in nine areas of the county covered by the Kent Messenger Group.
- In Maidstone the Kent Messenger will be backing Maidstone Christian Care.
- The Kentish Gazette at Canterbury has chosen East Kent Breast Cancer Mammography Appeal.
- The Medway Messenger and KentOnline have both selected Macmillan Cancer Support – Kent.
- In Ashford the Kentish Express has chosen the 1st Kennington Scout Group and The Caldecott Foundation.
- The East Kent Mercury will be supporting Carers’ Support Dover District &Thanet.
- In Dartford and Gravesend DGSM yourChoice was picked.
- Swale & Canterbury Carers’ Support was the choice for the Sheppey and Sittingbourne area.
- The Thanet Extra will be backing East Kent Unit for Breast Screening.
- Kentonline has chosen Macmillan Cancer Support - Kent.
Simon Dolby from the KM Charity Team said: “All the chosen charities will be invited to a briefing session to give them details of how the newspaper editors and the charity team will support them in 2011.”
All of the successful causes will receive the full backing of the newspaper and kmfm, highlighting its work and any special fund-raising projects it undertakes during the year.
The KM Charity Team and kmfm also aims to stage one or more fundraising events to support.
Simon Dolby from the KM Charity Team said: “We had a fantastic response to the Charity of the Year appeal and that those charities not selected will be contacted and offered a fundraising support package.”